James Dean Leavitt
District 13 - Clark County (map)
601 S. 10th Street, Suite 106
Regent James Dean Leavitt was elected to the Board of Regents in 2004 and was retained in the 2010 election as the representative for District 13.
He served two terms as Board chairman (2009-2010 and 2010-2011) and is currently chair of the Health Sciences System Committee. He is also a member of the Academic and Student Affairs Committee, Community College Committee, Investment and Facilities Committee and the Workforce, Research and Economic Development Committee. In July 2013, he was chosen to serve on the UNLV Campus Improvement Authority Board of Directors.
In addition to owning and operating the Law Office of James Dean Leavitt, Regent Leavitt was an instructor at UNLV in the Greenspun School of Communications from 1993 to 1998.
Regent Leavitt's law practice is limited almost exclusively to criminal defense. He has a special interest in juvenile cases where counseling and representation are intertwined.
Regent Leavitt and his wife Debbie are the parents of 3 children.
- University of Idaho, 1991, Juris Doctor
- Brigham Young University, 1985, B.A. Speech Communication Rhetoric
Board of Regents' Service
- Past Chair, Board of Regents
- Past Chair, Board Development Committee
- Past Chair, Investment Committee
- Past Chair, Student & Academic Affairs Committee
- Past Chair, Health Sciences System Committee
- Appointed by Governor Kenny Guinn to serve on the Medical, Education, Research & Training Commission
- Law Office of James Dean Leavitt - 1994 to Present
- Goodman and Chesnoff - 1993
- Galatz, Earl, Catalano and Smith - 1992
- Instructor, Calgary Board of Education - Division of Adult Learning
- Instructor, University of Idaho - Public Speaking
- Instructor, UNLV Greenspun School of Communications
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Nevada Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, United States Supreme Court
- Member, United States Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- Member, United States District Court - District of Nevada
- Member, Supreme Court of the State of Nevada