UCCSN Board of Regents' Meeting Minutes
December 30-31, 1980


Pages 105-108

                         BOARD OF REGENTS


                         December 30, 1980

The Board of Regents met in special session on the above date in

the Board Room, Carlson Education building, University of Nevada,

Las Vegas.

Members present:  Mr. Robert A. Cashell, Chairman

                  Mr. James L. Buchanan, II

                  Mrs. Lilly Fong

                  Mr. Chris Karamanos

                  Mr. John R. Mc Bride

                  Mr. John Tom Ross

                  Mrs. June F. Whitley

Members absent:   Mrs. Molly F. Knudtsen

                  Dr. Louis E. Lombardi

Others present:   President Leonard Goodall, UNLV

                  Secretary Bonnie M. Smotony

The meeting was called to order by Chairman Cashell at 4:00 P.M.

 1.  Report of Gifts and Grants

     Mr. Cashell recommended acceptance of the following year-

     end gifts received by UNR, DRI, NNCC and the System:

     University of Nevada, Reno

     $50,000 from Mr. George Basta, Reno (DONOR DESIRES NO

             PUBLICITY), $20,000 to be added to the "George

             and Harriet Basta Athletic Scholarship Endowment",

             and $30,000 is to be used to establish the "George

             and Harriet Basta Medical Sciences Equipment


     $52,250 from the Estate of Nora Kawamura, to be used to

             establish the "Nora Kawamura Student Aid Fund",

             which will support students pursuing careers in

             professional Nursing.

     $   500 cash gift and 25,000 shares of ASI common stock,

             from Mr. Jim Joyce to the Pinching Memorial

             Athletic Scholarship.

     Desert Research Institute

     $40,000 cash gift from Mr. and Mrs. Sulo Maki, Las Vegas,

             to be used for purposes of the Desert Research


     Northern Nevada Community College

     A Multigraph, Model 1870, from Ken and Patty Maynard

          (original purchase price of $7,500).


     $ 4,000 cash gift from Miss Helen Thompson, to be divided

             equally between UNR and UNLV and to be used for

             faculty travel.

     Mrs. Fong moved approval.  Motion seconded by Mr. Mc Bride,

     carried without dissent.

     In addition to the above gifts, Mr. Cashell noted that

     President Goodall had submitted a report of gifts received

     subsequent to the most recent meeting of the Board, totaling

     $392,201.35, and recommended the Board's acceptance (list of

     gifts filed with permanent minutes).

     Mrs. Whitley moved approval.  Motion seconded by Mr.

     Buchanan, carried without dissent.

 2.  UNLV Application for Membership in Western Athletic


     President Goodall recalled that in February, 1977 the Board

     authorized UNLV to enter into negotiations with WAC concern-

     ing possible conference membership.  He added that negotia-

     tions have continued under Presidents Baepler and Dixon

     and his own Administration, and he wished to report to the

     Board on where those negotiations now stand.  Dr. Goodall

     distributed a report containing the following statement:

         While I believe UNLV has met the conditions for member-

         ship set by WAC, recent discussions with the Presidents

         of WAC Universities -- both individually and at their

         meetings in San Diego -- have convinced me that contin-

         ued negotiations at this time will only result in addi-

         tional delay in UNLV's potential entry into the confer-

         ence.  Dr. Bucher, our acting Athletic Director, and

         Professor Harp, our Faculty Athletic Representative,

         both of whom also attended the San Diego meetings, agree

         with me in this assessment.

         The WAC Presidents have indicated a desire to take some

         action in January, and that action will almost certainly

         be some form of additional delay, either a tabling of

         the application or a move to place the application in

         what WAC calls "inactive status".  Since I do not be-

         lieve that further delay is in the best interests of

         UNLV, I am recommending that the Board authorize UNLV

         to consider other alternatives, including affiliation

         with other conferences or a decision to remain as an


         I have discussed this matter with the Intercollegiate

         Athletic Council, and the Council agrees on the de-

         sirability of looking into other alternatives.

         I am not recommending a withdrawal of UNLV's application

         to WAC; rather, I am, however, asking the University's

         Legal Counsel to consider all of the legal implications

         of our WAC negotiations.  In particular, the University

         has a number of future scheduling contracts with WAC

         schools in both football and basketball, and we don't

         want to jeopardize any of these agreements.

         I have discussed this matter with several of the candi-

         dates for Athletic Director, and they have indicated

         the action will not diminish their interest in the pos-

         ition.  This will give the new Director an opportunity

         to start anew in considering all possible alternatives

         for the program.

         UNLV has some good supporters among the WAC Presidents,

         and I am most appreciative of their support.  Six of the

         eight Universities have changed Presidents since discus-

         sions with UNLV began; however, and this has apparently

         caused some of the Universities to change their position

         on UNLV's entry into the conference, making it difficult

         to conclude membership discussions.  There has also been

         a change in the Office of Commissioner.  Commissioner

         Stan Bates and Commissioner Joe Kearney have both been

         most cooperative in working with UNLV, and I express

         appreciation to them.

         I believe there are some very good options open for

         UNLV.  I look forward to working with the new Athletic

         Director and the Intercollegiate Athletic Council in

         exploring all possible options, and I am very optimistic

         about the future of Intercollegiate Athletics at UNLV.

     Mr. Mc Bride moved approval of President Goodall's recom-

     mendation.  Motion seconded by Mrs. Fong.

     Mr. Buchanan objected to any action other than to pursue

     UNLV's application now before WAC, suggesting that it would

     be premature and not in the best interests of the Institu-

     tions.  Mr. Buchanan proposed that no action be taken with

     respect to the application until WAC makes a decision and

     explains the reasons for its decision.  In the event the

     decision by WAC is negative, Mr. Buchanan suggested the

     Board might wish to consider legal action, pointing out

     that, based on representations made by WAC, the Las Vegas

     Convention Authority spent $5 million to expand the seating

     of the Las Vegas Stadium.

     Mr. Cashell suggested that it would not be in the best

     interests of the University to bring legal action to gain

     admission to a conference.

     Mr. Buchanan recalled that WAC had placed three requirements

     on UNLV for membership and since those requirements have

     been met, there is no reason for UNLV not to be a member.

     Mr. Mc Bride questioned the desirability of UNLV attempting

     to force its way into a conference through litigation.

     Mr. Buchanan recalled that the three requirements for WAC

     membership were:  (1) a stadium capable of holding 30,000

     people,  (2) a basketball pavilion with a 15,000 seating

     capacity, and  (3) compliance with all NCAA and WAC rules.

     Mr. Buchanan stated that in his opinion, having met those

     requirements, UNLV is admitted to WAC.

     Mr. Ross suggested, and Mr. McBride concurred, that the mo-

     tion include the suggestion by President Goodall that any

     explorations of alternatives would commence after consulta-

     tion with legal counsel.

     Mr. Buchanan objected to any action that would put the Board

     on record as looking at other options until after a defini-

     tive decision by WAC.

     Mr. Mc Bride and Mrs. Fong agreed to a tabling of their mo-

     tion until the meeting of January 23 on the assumption that

     the decision of the WAC Commissioners will be known prior

     to that time.

The meeting adjourned at 4:30 P.M.

                             Bonnie M. Smotony

                             Secretary of the Board